This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can My Son’s Father Transfer His Post 9/11 GI Bill to Our Son?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Can my son’s dad transfer his GI Bill to him? He served 6 years and currently he is in Afghanistan as a Contractor working for a military base. My son wants to continue with the ROTC program once he finishes high school next year.

A: No he can’t for a couple of reasons. One, to transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill to a dependent, the servicemember has to serve at least six years on active duty (which he did) and re-enlist for an additional four years, (which he did not). The other reason is all transfer requests, must be initiated while the servicemember is on active duty, so even if your son’s father would have met the first criteria, he would not have met the second.

But, all might not be lost. There is a bill in Congress right now – S3447 – and if it passes, it will allow veterans holding the Post 9/11 GI Bill to transfer education benefits to dependents. What I don’t know at this point is how the final language will read, as far as the service requirements needed to make a transfer request. Keep watching this blog as I will post information concerning S3447 as I become aware of its progress.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.