This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can My Retired Veteran Husband Gift Me Part of His Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My husband retired from the US Army on November 1, 2009. He is wanting to gift me part of his GI Bill and he will use the other part. Can he do that? If he can, what is the next step in making that happen? Thank you.

A: If you are talking about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, he can use it himself up to November 1, 2024, but he can’t gift any of it to you. If you are talking about the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB), it didn’t have a transfer to dependents option, so there isn’t any way to make a transfer request.

As far as the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the way Congress wrote the Bill, he had to be “on active duty on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request, so he would have had the time to make a request before he retired had he known all of the rules. Many veterans retiring shortly after the New GI Bill went into effect did not know about the still-serving restriction on making a transfer of benefits until they were already out.

Periodically, there is legislation introduced that would allow a 20+ plus year retired veteran the opportunity to make a transfer request, but so far none of the legislation has had enough support to pass. But keep watching this blog as I post information like that once I’m made aware of it and the legislation can be introduced at any time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.