This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can My Husband Use My MGIB Benefits for Online Schooling?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am a reservist who served one tour overseas. Can my husband use my MGIB for online schooling? If so can we both use it at the same time?

A: No your husband can’t use your Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserves (MGIB- SR) for any schooling, as that GI Bill doesn’t have a benefit transfer option. However, with an overseas active duty Title 10 tour (I’m assuming one-year), you could transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill and make a transfer of benefits to your husband.

Just note that his schooling would be paid at the same percentage that you have for your Post 9/11 GI Bill, which for one year of active duty would be 60%. Also note that to get the housing allowance, he would need to take at least one class per term on-campus. Otherwise he is not eligible for that part of the benefit.

As far as both of you going to school at the same time, yes you can – and for as long as both of you have benefits. It doesn’t cost the VA any additional money, because you only have 36 months of benefits. Whether one person uses up the 36 months or two people use a total of 36 months, it ends up costing them the same.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.