This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can My Husband Transfer His Post 9/11 GI Bill to Me With Only Three Years of Service?

Q: Hello. My husband has been in the Army for 3 years now, he’s wanting to transfer his GI Bill to me so I can finish school. Would that be possible and if so, how do we start?

A: Right now that would not be possible and here is why. The Post 9/11 GI Bill has two sets of rules as far as using its benefits. For the servicemember, s/he has to serve for at least three years after September 10, 2001. At that point the servicemember is fully vested at the 100% tier and can use the benefits.

However, to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependent, the servicemember must have served for at least six years, be currently serving at the time of the transfer request, and have at least four years left on his/her enlistment. So your husband is halfway to his six-year requirement.

Once he has the time in, he can make a transfer request by going to the milConnect website and entering into your record how many months he wishes to transfer to you. Once approved, you can go to the eBenefits website and request your Certificate of Eligibility by submitting VA Form 22-1990e.

If you would like to start school now, and if your husband is an E-5 or less, a W1 or W2 or an O1 or O2, you could use the MyCAA program to work on:
• an associate’s degree;
• licensure or;
• certification program.

You can get up to $4,000 and have up to three years to finish your program. By that time, your husband would then be eligible to make a transfer request to you so you could continue your schooling.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”