This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can My Husband Transfer His Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Me?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If my husband has met the qualifications to attain Post 9/11 GI Bill, however, he spent last eleven years as a reservist and is currently retired, can his GI Bill benefits be transferred to me to attend school?

A: No, he can’t make a transfer now that he is retired. Any Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of entitlements has to be done while the servicemember is still in the Armed Forces (Reserves, Guard or active).

As I said for right now, transferring is not an option after retiring, however, that would change if H.R. 950 bill passes. That bill would allow Post 9/11 GI Bill retirees, with at least 20 years of Armed Forces service who retired between December 9, 2001 and July 31, 2009, the option to make a transfer of entitlements to dependents.

With eleven years of service, it probably won’t help in your husband’s case, but it will for others. Also note, as a reservists eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, a transferee would only get the same level of VA payment support as the tier level the reservist making the transfer. For example, if the servicemember is at the 70% tier, that is the same percentage the VA would pay for those having transferred benefits from that servicemember.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.