This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can My Husband Transfer His GI Bill to Me and Put Me Through School?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Can my husband transfer his GI Bill to put me through school?

A: It really depends on a couple of factors: which GI Bill he has and if he qualifies for the transfer option. If he has the Montgomery GI Bill, then probably not. Most MGIB holders did not buy the transfer option. For many, their service branch did not offer it and for those whose branch did, many didn’t buy it. The Army, for example, offered soldiers the opportunity to buy the transfer option out of their reenlistment incentive money. If your husband did that, he would have remembered it.

The other issue is if he qualifies for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. While that GI Bill does have a transfer component to it, he would have had to serve at least six years on active duty and reenlist for an additional four years. If your husband is discharged, then he can’t make a transfer request.

The way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill rules, servicemembers had to be on active duty on or after August 1, 2009 to make a transfer request. If he has the Post 9/11 GI Bill and qualifies for the transfer, then he can go to the Transfer of Benefits (TEB) and make a request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.