This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can My Daughter Use Any of My HusbandÔÇÖs GI Bill for Student Loans or School?

Q: Can my daughter use any of my husband’s GI Bill to help her with her school loan repayment or to pay for the school she is attending now?

A: The way you worded the question “my daughter use any of my husband’s . . .” raises the question if she is also your husband’s daughter. If she isn’t his biological daughter, or he never legally adopted her, then no, she can’t receive dependent entitlements from his Post 9/11 GI Bill.

If she is a biological or legally adopted dependent, then he could make a transfer request provided he is still serving and meets the requirements of having served at least six years and agrees to serve an additional four years.

Of course, if your husband is not still serving, or doesn’t have the Post 9/11 GI Bill, then he could not make a transfer. The way Congress wrote the rules, a servicemember has to be still serving on or after August 1, 2009 to make a request. If your husband has the Montgomery GI Bill, then he would not be able to make a request as that GI Bill never had a dependent transfer option.

As far as using your husband’s GI Bill to pay for your daughter’s school loan, he could not do that as the Student Loan Repayment program and GI Bill are two separate programs and money does not directly cross from one program to the other one.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”