This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My Selected Reserve GI Bill and Post 9/11 GI Bill Together?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I am deploying soon and was wondering if I can use my Selected Reserve GI Bill and my Post 9/11 GI Bill together once I get back from the tour?

A: And the answer is “Yes” and “No”. Under the Rule of 48, if you are eligible for two or more GI Bills, the maximum combined months of entitlement is capped at 48. So with that in mind, you have a couple of ways to use your GI Bills.

One, you could transfer your remaining unused Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) entitlement over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Or two, you could use up all of your MGIB-SR entitlement first, switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill and get an additional 12 months of entitlement bringing up your total to 48 months. However, if you bring over your unused MGIB-SR entitlement to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you don’t get the additional 12 months, so it is an either/or situation.

So with either option, yes you can use your GI Bills together. However, if you meant that you wanted to draw a monthly benefit from both of them at the same time, then no. Under the GI Bills rules, if you bring entitlement over from another GI Bill, you then lose your ability to further use that GI Bill. So if you bring over your MGIB-SR entitlement, you exhaust that GI Bill and you have nothing left to use.

However, there is a considerable difference in what each GI Bill pays, and even if you are at the 60% Post 9/11 GI Bill tier, it still pays far more than the MGIB-SR.

2 responses on “Can I Use My Selected Reserve GI Bill and Post 9/11 GI Bill Together?

Can I use twelve months of my MGIB-SR and then use 36 months of my Post 911 GI bill or am I only allowed to use up my MGIB-SR then get the remaining 12 on the post 911. I ask this because I want to maximize my benefit. So if I can use my MGIB-SR first which pays less and then my post 911 second which pays more I will still get 48 months but with higher payments.

No you can’t. What you could do is convert your remaining unused MGIB-SR over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill so you could get the higher pay for the rest of your original 36 months.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.