This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill to Work on Two Masters’ Degrees?

Q: Hi Ron, I’m active duty and plan on retiring next summer/fall with 22 years of service. I’ve got 27 months left under the MGIB. I’m currently enrolled in two online master’s programs, having not used the GI Bill on either, yet. I’ve done some calculations, and with the changes in the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it seems that’s the way to go. This is especially true with the book stipend while on AD, and housing allowance after AD. I’m inclined to switch and use all the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to finish one of the degrees. However, is it possible to apply the benefits to two degrees?

A: I’ll start by answering your last question first. It is possible to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill to get two degrees, however, you can’t use it to work on both degrees at the same time. The VA will only fund one education plan at a time.

And the VA might not fund two master’s degrees. It depends if they are related or not. Typically the GI Bill is used progressively meaning you get one degree, such as a bachelor’s degree, and then use your GI Bill again to get a higher rated degree, such as a master’s degree. But if you can show a relationship between your two masters’ degrees and how it will benefit you to get both, they might agree to fund both of them.

As you know, with the Post 9/11 GI Bill and still serving, the VA would pay your tuition directly to your school up to the resident rate at a public school or up to $19,198.31 per year at a private school. And you could get up to $1,000 per year in book stipend money. While on active duty, you would not be eligible for the housing allowance, but you would once off active duty. However, just so you know, being you are taking all online courses, your housing allowance as a full-time student would be limited to a maximum of $714.50.

But, take one class that pertains to your degree plan on campus at a local school and you could get the full housing allowance authorized for the zip code of your school – it could be twice of your online amount or more. Just something to consider.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”