This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill to Go to School in Canada?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I’m interested in attending school in Canada. How can I find a list of schools that are approved by the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

A: You have to use the Weams Institution Search feature. Once at the VA’s GI Bill website, with your left mouse button, click on the Find A School icon. Then click on Search for Approved Education and Job Training Programs. Once the page loads, click on Program Types. From the drop-down menu select the type of program you are looking for. Then click on the Country button. From the drop-down menu, click on Canada. Then click on the Submit button. If you selected Institutions of Higher Learning, once your results loads, you will see there are about 157 VA-Approved Canadian schools.

If the school you want to attend is not listed, then contact your school and have them apply for foreign school approval. Once approved, you can then apply for your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits and use them at your Canadian school.

Keep in mind that the VA’s maximum tuition cost for foreign schools is $408 per credit hour with the housing allowance fixed at $1,333 per month. Plus you would also get up to $1,000 per year in a book stipend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.