This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill to Attend School In England?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hello, I am looking to study abroad in England during the spring of 2011. I am currently signed up for the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill under my current university. My question is, can I study abroad using my benefits? If so, how do I ensure I receive my benefits for the program? Thank you for your help.

A: Yes, you can use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to study at a school in England. The first step, however, is ensuring your school has foreign-school approval by the VA. To check if your school is approved, use the VA’s school locator and click on the Country button. From the drop-down menu click on England, then click on the Submit button.

If your school is not listed, then they will have to apply for VA approval before you will be able to use your GI Bill at that school. Also, here is a fact sheet for you to read.

Post 9/11 GI Bill payment rates are handled differently for students attending foreign schools. The VA will pay, directly to your school, up to $408.09 per credit hour and $10,502.97 in eligible fees per term. Twelve credits per term is considered full-time. You will get a fixed amount of $1,333 per month in a housing allowance, plus up to $1,000 per year in a book stipend.

To change your benefits from one school to another, resubmit VA Form 22-1990e with you new school information.

3 responses on “Can I Use My Post 9/11 GI Bill to Attend School In England?

I am also looking to study abroad in England- can you tell me if there are any schools approved for undergraduate history? Thanks!

There are several schools in the United Kingdom that are VA-Approved for undergraduate programs. To see what each school has to offer, Click on the COUNTRY button. Select the United Kingdom from the list and click on the SUBMIT button.

Once the list of institutions come up, click on one. Once that school loads, then click on the PROGRAMS link. Then click on the Institution of Higher Learning link. You can then see the programs that school offers. I checked Anglia Ruskin University and they have a BA in History.


I know for my home university I had to wait until the 1st of October for most of my payments, even though I moved back to campus at the end of August. I had to pay some to the school up front, and the rest they were understanding about until I recieved my payments. I know this may not be the case with a school overseas. Is there a chance my payments would be delayed after arriving? Thanks again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: The schools appearing on this webpage are clients of ours and are schools from which QuinStreet receives compensation ("Sponsored Schools"). Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on this website (including the order in which they appear). Our websites do not, and are not intended to, provide a comprehensive list of all schools in the United States or of all schools located in a specific geographic area or of all schools that offer a particular program of study. We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.

Gainful Employment Disclosure: For more information about program cost, educational debt, and completion rates of students who attended these programs, visit here.