This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My MGIB-SR and My Transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I joined the US Army Reserves and received the GI Bill on my enlistment contract. I served my term and received an honorable discharge several years ago. Recently (7 months ago) my husband signed his Post 9/11 GI Bill over to me. Am I able to receive both my reserve GI Bill benefits and my husband’s Post 9 /11 GI Bill benefits at the same time since they are different programs?

A: It is a good thing your husband transferred his Post 9/11 GI bill benefits to you as those are the only GI Bill benefits you now have. Army Reservists and National Guardsmen lose their Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) benefits upon discharge.

As the recipient of Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits, you:

  • may start using your benefit immediately;
  • may use the benefit either while your husband is still in the Armed Forces or after he gets out;
  • are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance or book stipend while yor husband is still on active duty, but you are eligible for both once he is out;
  • can use your benefit for up to 15 years after his discharge.

Keep in mind, your husband can also take back all or any part of your Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefit while he is still in or after he is discharged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *