This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My MGIB for Flight School, and Then Transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bill for Grad School?


Q: I joined the Navy in 2004 and will get out in 2014. I have the MGIB and am eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill. I am interested in pursuing my MBA but do not anticipate it taking more than 18 months. Can I use my MGIB for flight school, and then transfer to the Post 9/11 for Grad school?

A: Whether you can use your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) for flight school or not depends on what you are considering “flight school”. If you mean to get your private pilot’s license, then most likely the answer is no.

However if you already have your private pilot’s license and you want to pick up some additional commercial pilot qualifications/certifications, then yes, you can use your MGIB. Just so you know, your MGIB would only pay you up to 60% of your flight training costs. So you have to foot the bill on the other 40%. As far as entitlement use, you would use up one month of entitlement for each $1,648 the VA pays you.

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, it pays up to the full cost of the training or up to $10,970.46 per academic year, whichever is less. Ten thousand dollars doesn’t go far when talking about flight training. But besides the VA paying your tuition directly to your school, you would also get a housing allowance and book stipend. As far as entitlement use, you would use up a day for each day in the course.

I think you are on the right glide path to use your MGIB for flight school. Just be sure to keep back at least 18 months for grad school and then convert to the Post 9/11 GI Bill and let the VA pay your high grad school tuition costs.


Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.

X

FINAL Countdown! Urban Outfitters $20,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline October 16, 2021

X