This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My Hazelwood Act Benefits to Work Towards Earning a PhD?

Q: I’m a Texas Vet and mobilized Army Reservist using TA to finish my master’s degree while I am on active duty. I want to continue on into a Doctoral program, but TA won’t pay above master’s degrees. Can I use Hazelwood Act (150 hours) towards a PhD?

A: You could, but not while you are still serving. The Hazelwood Act is a veterans-only program. Just be sure you meet the requirements to use your Hazelwood Act once you are off mobilization orders, which are:
• Have been a Texas resident upon entry into the military, entered into active federal duty in the State of Texas, or declared Texas as his or her home of record at the time of entry into the armed forces as documented on his or her DD Form 214;
• Have a military discharge of honorable or general, under honorable conditions;
• Served at least 181 days of active duty service (excluding training);
• Not be in default on an education loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas and not in default on a federal loan if that default is the reason the student cannot use his or her federal veterans’ benefits.
• And the newest requirement is you must live in Texas at the time you use your Hazelwood Act benefits.

You might have one other option though. Depending on how long you have been on active duty, you most likely have at least some or maybe all of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits that you can use while on active duty or after you get out. And it does cover up through the doctoral degree.

To get the minimum or 40%, you must have served on a Title 10 order in support of a contingency operation for at least 91 days. Three years of orders get you to the 100% mark. It is worth looking into.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”