This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Use My GI Bill Benefits to Go To a Foreign School?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I will ETS in 2012. Can I use my benefits if I choose to study and live overseas? Will I get housing allowance as well?

A: Yes, the Post 9/11 GI Bill can be used at many oversea schools as long as your school is VA-approved. The pay structure is different though for foreign school students than it is for student going to school here in the U.S.

Right now, the Post 9/11 GI Bill pays up to $439.69 per credit in tuition and up to $13,713.88 in fees per term. You would get a fixed rate of $1,333 per month in housing allowance. You would also get the book stipend paid at $41.67 per credit hour with a $1,000 per year maximum. Of course, these figures are assuming your will be at the 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill level with at least three years of service. If you will be at a lesser tier, then multiply the stated amount by your tier percentage.

If the school you are interested in attending is not GI Bill-approved yet, ask them if they want to go through the process to become approved. Generally, it is a simple process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.