This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use My finance’s GI Bill, If We Aren’t Married Yet?

Q: Can I use my finance’s GI Bill, if we aren’t married yet?

A: No. According to the GI Bill rules, you have to be listed as his dependent in DEERS. If you are not married yet, you will not be in DEERS under his name.

The other caveat is the rules for the transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. To make a transfer request, your future hubby has to serve at least six years on active duty and agree to serve an additional four years. Once he meets those two requirements, then he can make a transfer request to you.

Once the transfer request is approved, then you can go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. You will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when enrolling in school as a student using GI Bill transferred benefits.

Once in school, the VA will pay your tuition and eligible fees directly to your school. While you will not get the housing allowance, because he is drawing BAH for you already, after August 1st you would get the book stipend, which is paid at the rate of $41.67 per credit up to $1,000 per year. If you waited to go to school once he was out of the military, you would get the housing allowance.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”