This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Use Chapter 35 to Attend a School in the United Kingdom?

Q: Hello, I’m a 21-year old son of a medically discharged veteran. I’ve received Chapter 35 at a university I attended in MN. I’m wondering whether I am able to continue receiving this benefit internationally. Soon I’ll be attending a university in England (University of Bedfordshire) and I’m not sure if I’d still be eligible? Thanks for your time.

A: There isn’t a restriction on using your Chapter 35 benefits to attend an international school provided the school in on the VA list of approved schools. In checking that list, the University of Bedfordshire is listed as an approved school, so that makes the rest of it easy. Otherwise your school would have to request VA approval which would slow things down considerably.

Since your school is already listed, submit VA Form 22-5490, Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits, either online or download the form and send it in according to the instructions.

As you already know, you’ll get $925 per month that you can use to help pay for tuition and fees and you had 45 months of entitlement when you started in the Chapter 35 program. There is an age limitation of 26, so ensure you have used up your entitlement before you attain that age.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”