This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Transfer Some of My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Towards My Wife’s Student Loans?

Q: I recently got married and was wondering if I could transfer some of my GI Bill towards wife’s student loans? Also, if she decides to continue her education, can she receive my GI benefits? Thanks.

A: You don’t say if you are still serving or not, but if you are and you meet the service requirements, you can make a transfer request and give your wife any amount of your unused benefits that you want.

Before you can access the transfer option, you need to have served for at least six years and agree to serve an additional four years. If you are already discharged, then you cannot make a transfer request. The way Congress wrote the rule, you had to be serving “on or after August 1, 2009″.

As far as transferring some of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to help pay off your wife’s student loan, I’m afraid not. The GI Bill can’t be used for that purpose. Even if you had the Student Loan Repayment Program, you could not use it to pay your wife’s student loans as they have to be your loans.

If you don’t qualify to transfer benefits to your wife and you can’t use your GI Bill to pay off her student loans, you might as well use them yourself instead of letting them expire and not getting anything out of them.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”