This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Transfer Schools While Receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Can I transfer schools while receiving Post 9/11GI Bill? If I get a degree in a year and a half, can I still continue receiving benefits as long as I stay in school?

A: Yes, you can transfer schools while using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Just send in a new VA Form 22-1990 indicating where you will go to school. I would advise against trying to change schools during a term because that really mixes things up as far as which school gets paid what, but you can certainly change schools between terms.

You originally had 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement, so you can go to school until you run out of entitlement, however, you will most likely have to submit a new degree plan which shows you are working toward a higher degree than what you already have. The VA will not let you aimlessly take classes just to use up your entitlements. You should have a progressive plan where you are always working toward the next higher degree.

4 responses on “Can I Transfer Schools While Receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits?

Does that mean if I move out of state and need to change schools I can? I would still be working towards my BSN degree

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *