This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Back to Myself?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My wife and I are getting divorced. I have already transferred my Post 9/11 GI Bill to her. I would like to transfer the benefits back to myself to possibly use for future children and so on. Is this possible?

A: I can’t tell by your question if you are still serving or not. That is important because it has a great effect on what you can do with your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits should you decide to take them back. First, as the servicemember earning your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, you can do anything you want with them to include revoking them from the recipient to whom you gave them to.

However, I do want to explain something as far as taking them back and keeping them to give to your “future children”. The way the Post 9/11 GI Bill rules read, you can only transfer benefits while you are “currently serving”. So that means you would have to have those “future children” and make a transfer request to them while you are still in. Once retired, it is too late to make an initial transfer of benefits to them.

However, if you do have those children, make a transfer request to them, and get it approved while you are still serving, then even after you are out, you can allocate more Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to them. You can give those benefits from the unused remaining months you have or revoke them from one of your previous recipients and reallocate them. Keep in mind, you can’t move benefits that have already been used by the recipient.

If you do not have those children before you are out, then you can’t transfer benefits to them initially after you are out. So that brings me back to the first part of my answer as far as if you really want to take the benefits you transferred to your wife or not.

If you do not plan on having those “future children” before you get out or use the transferred benefits yourself, then it would be a great gesture on your part to leave your transferred benefits with your wife and let her use them to help her start her new life.

2 responses on “Can I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits Back to Myself?

I have a new employee that let his daughter use his GI Bill and now she has graduated from college. He said he has some money left on it and wants to use it for on-the-job training. I know he needs to complete the VA 22-1990 form but I was told he also needs to complete a form to revoke his daughter’s entitlment. That’s where I am stuck. I know there is a form to transfer education benefts from military person to child but can’t find the correct form I need for the other way around. I heard it was on the DOD website. Any suggestions?

The government has a form for just about everything, but this is one area where they don’t. All he has to do is to submit a letter to the VA requesting to revoke “x” number of months and days of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit from his daughter back to himself. Be sure he includes identifying information such as full names and SSNs. There even is not a specific format, just the basic letter style.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.