This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Can I Transfer My New GI Bill with Less Than 10 Years of Service?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Can i start transferring my New GI Bill to my daughters even I don’t have 10 years of service, and at the same time can they start using it?

A: You don’t need 10 years of service before you can make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer request. You do need to have served for at least 6 years (of which at least three years had to be after September 10, 2001) and agree to serve for an additional four years though before you can access the transfer option. If you are less than four years from being retirement eligible (20 years of service), the additional time required is prorated at a lesser amount.

Once you meet these two service requirements, then you can make a transfer request to your daughters by going to the TEB website and entering in the number of months you would like to transfer.

If you are interested in making a transfer to your wife in the future, give her at least one month now. By giving your spouse and daughters each at least one month while you are still serving, you increase your transfer flexibility in the future.

With each of them having at least one month now, you can revoke and reallocate any unused benefits as desired, even after retiring. But, if one of them does not have any transferred benefits now, you can’t give them any after you retire.

Once your transfer requests are approved, then each member receiving benefits can go to the eBenefits portal and request their Certificate of Eligibility by submitting VA Form 22-1990e. They will each need this certificate when enrolling in school.

Once they receive their certificates, they can start using their benefits immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.