This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Still Use My GI Bill If I Have Been Out of the Army Since 2006?

Q: I’ve been out of the regular Army since 06. I need to know how and if i can use my GI Bill and if I have any kind of 401k or the like that I can pull out. How and where do I find the info I need?

A: You can find the info right here. I’ll explain it to you. If you paid into the Montgomery GI Bill, and you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (more on that in a minute), then you can get your $1,200 MGIB contribution back, once you have used up all 36 months of your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. If you switched to the Post 9/11 GI Bill with less than 36 months of benefits left, then you would get a lesser amount of your contribution back; it would be prorated based on the number of MGIB months you have left at the time you switched.

Because the Post 9/11 GI Bill does not require any monetary contribution (as does the MGIB), they felt it was only far that if you did not use any MGIB benefits, or had some left and used them under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, that you could get some of your contribution back.

If you participated in the Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) for the uniformed services, you also have money there you could pull out. You can pull out your contributions and any earnings you may have accumulated, but if you are less than 59 › year old, you will pay a penalty for the withdrawal. If you are 59 › or older the penalty is waived. Unless you really need the money bad or meet the age requirement already, I would leave it in and let it make money for you.

If you have less than $200 in it, then you got the money when you separated. If you have more than $200 invested, then you have other options, such as a single payment or monthly payments to name two.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”