This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Get a Step-By-Step Plan On How To Best Use My GI Bill Benefits?

Q: Ok, Let me lay this out so I can get the best return for my education future. I joined in 2004 and am about to get out within 6 months. I just heard all these rumors about needing to transfer my MGIB to Post 9/11 GI Bill … for myself to use it (not dependents). I was active duty the whole 9 years and even paid the extra buy-in for my MGIB in addition to the $1,200 required. Then the Post 9/11 GI Bill came out. What do I do? Do I need to transfer my benefits to get the Post 9/11 GI Bill or should I use my MGIB for the 36 months then the extra 12 months with the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I would really value any “what would you do” step-by-step plan.

A: What you heard about needing to transfer your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) to the Post 9/11 GI Bill before you get out is false. Whoever is telling you this is confusing switching GI Bills with the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of benefits to dependents (which does have to be done before you get out).

You can switch GI Bills anytime … even after retiring. All you have to do is go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990. You get back your Certificate of Eligibility that shows which GI Bill you have, the number of months of entitlement you have left to use and your delimitation date – the date your eligibility expires.

If you plan on transferring some or all of your Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility to dependents, then you have to make your transfer request while still serving. The other two requirements are you have to have served for at least six years and agree to serve an additional four years. To make a transfer request, go to the milConnect website and follow the instruction in the Transfer of Benefits Section.

If you switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill now, you lose the money you paid into the Buy-Up program, because it can’t be used with the New GI Bill.

As far as a plan, if your highest degree would be a four-year bachelor’s degree, then normally the best course of action is to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill now. On average, you would get over $50,000 from just your housing allowance and book stipend as a full-time student taking on campus classes. Plus the VA would have paid your tuition directly to your school.

Using your MGIB with the Buy-Up, you would only get around $62,000, but you have to pay your own tuition.

If you plan to get an advanced degree, then stay with the MGIB, use it up and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get the additional months of benefits that you can use toward your next level degree.

While this is a sound plan for most people, it may or may not work for you. Do your own GI Bill comparison factoring in your specific situation to see which one would work best for you.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”