This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Extend My Post 9/11 GI Bill Housing Allowance Doing This?


Q: I transferred 9 months of my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my son who started college this year. The school VA counselor told us that, by certifying only 7 (58% of full time) of the credits he is taking we could apply the remaining 42% to the following year and effectively extend his BAH eligibility by roughly 4 months beyond the 9 months I initially transferred. I can’t find anything on the VA help site to confirm this – are they right?

A: Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement use is figured by how many credits a student takes per full month of school. So if a school considers 12 credits to be full-time, and a student is taking 12 credits, then the student would use up one month of entitlement per month of school. However, if that same student is only taking 7 credits per term, then he/she only uses up 7/12th of a month of entitlement for each full month of school or about 17.5 days instead of 30 days.

So it is true your son would get the same amount of money for his Post 9/11 GI Bill housing allowance whether he takes 7 credits or 12, and by only using up 17.5 days per month of entitlement instead of 30 days per month, it would extend the amount of time it takes to use his up his entitlement.

However, if he is certified at 7 credits, the VA will only pay his tuition/fees and book stipend at 7 credits, so if your son is taking more than 7 credits, he or you will have to pay the tuition and fees for those extra credits. The Law changed to this process in Jul 09.



Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2020 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at http://www.va.gov.

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

Enter to Win $1,000 for College From Lending Tree. Deadline to Enter January 31, 2022.

X

Enter NOW! Niche's $2,000 Scholarship Giveaway, Deadline July 31, 2021

X