This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Can I Change Schools and Get the 12 Month Post 9/11 GI Bill Extension?

Q: I’m on my last month of entitlement for MGIB chapter 30. How do I go about getting a 12 month extension or so I have heard this rumor? If true please tell me who I need to call to get this extension started. Second question… I am able to change schools if/once a extension was granted? Thanks!

A: I’m assuming you are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill by having served for at least 90-days on active duty. To get your extension, you don’t call anyone. You can either download the form, fill it out and send it in, or fill it out online and submit it.

The form number is you need is VA Form 22-1990. To either download or submit it online, go to the eBenefits website. Once your request is processed, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility showing how many months of eligibility you have left to use.

As far as changing schools, yes you can do that. It requires submitting a different form, but it is on the same eBenefits website. That form number is VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

I do not suggest doing both at once; it causes too much confusion. Request your additional months of eligibility first and once that transaction is complete, then submit the change of place of training. Hopefully, you have enough time to make all that happen before you need to start school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”