This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Based On My Discharges, Am I Still Eligible for the Old GI Bill, New GI Bill or Both?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: My question is this: in 2004 I received a completely honorable discharge from the Army. Later, I re-enlisted and I am now expecting to receive a discharge under other than honorable conditions. Am I still eligible for the old GI Bill, New GI Bill or both? Thank you very much for your time.

A: Your first term of service ending with an Honorable discharge locked in your GI Bill benefits, so don’t worry about that. You could be eligible for both the New and old GI Bills, but you would have had to sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) when you first enlisted. Do you remember doing that and having $100 per month deducted from your monthly income for the first 12 months you served? If so, then you have the MGIB. If not, then most likely you do not have the MGIB.

Having served after September 10, 2001 and up to sometime in 2004, you also have the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but depending on when you got out in 2004, you may be at a lesser tier percentage than 100%. It takes three years of service to get to the 100% level.

The New GI Bill is free and does not require a contribution as did the MGIB. But, just so you know, if you do have both GI Bills, you will be subject to the Rule of 48. Under that rule, you can only get a combined maximum number of months of 48 if you qualify for two or more GI Bills. With either GI Bill alone, you would get 36 months.

So assuming you have both, you can either exhaust your 36 months of MGIB and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to get the additional one-year of benefits, or switch right now to the Post 9/11 GI Bill with your 36 MGIB months intact. The advantage of switching now is to reap the higher payouts under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but then you would not get the additional 12 months of benefits.

If you attend a public school using the Post 9/11 GI Bill , the VA pays your tuition up to the resident rate and you get a monthly housing allowance that is normally more than what you would get under the MGIB, plus under the old GI Bill, you have to pay tuition. Also, if you switch now, you would get your $1,200 MGIB contribution back once you have used up your 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

2 responses on “Based On My Discharges, Am I Still Eligible for the Old GI Bill, New GI Bill or Both?

can i get my g.i. bill back? i got off active duty in 1991 after 4 years, joined the national guard for another 6 or 8 years and took a break, im back in the guard but i got out of service all together for almost 10 years

You should have it back already. In 1991 you would have had the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and like you noted, it does have a 10-year delimitation date, but the date starts on your last date of discharge. Because you are still serving, your delimitation date is reset and your 10-year clock will start when you get out this time.

Also, if you end up getting deployed, you could gain some eligibility under the new Post 9/11 GI Bill. A typical one-year deployment would get you to the 60% tier. Once eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you could get an additional 12 months of education benefits after you have exhausted your MGIB.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.