This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

At What Percentage of Disability Can I Transfer My GI Bill to My Children?

Q: At what percentage of disability can I transfer my GI Bill to my children? Do I need to change it from the MGIB to the Post 9-11 for them to use their benefits?

A: If you are just talking about transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your children, it isn’t based on a disability percentage at all. As long as you:
• have served for at least six years and
• are currently serving at the time of transfer and
• have at least four years left on your enlistment (unless you are retirement eligible at the time of transfer) or
• have at least 10 years in and are precluded from continuing your service due to statutory requirements (of which a service-connected disability should satisfy that requirment), you can make a transfer request.

As far as if you have to transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to make a transfer, it happens automatically at the time you make a transfer request because the MGIB doesn’t have a transfer of benefits option.

If you meet the above transfer eligibility requirements, then go to the TEB website and enter into your childrens’ records the number of months you want to transfer. If their records are grayed out and it won’t let you enter anything, it means you are not eligible to make a transfer request. Most likely the reason would be you don’t have four years left on your enlistment. Once you figure out what caused the graying out, try again.

So as you can see, being able to transfer benefits isn’t based on a disability percentage at all – it is based on Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility and service requirements.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”