This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As an Ex-Public Health Employee, Can I Transfer Benefits to My Son?

I was awarded the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I was awarded 36 months at 60% tuition and a housing allowance. I served Public Health Service in 2002-2003. I heard and thought I could give this to my son, but learned today this may not be the case. Please enlighten me. I am working on my masters at a Public institution and my son is attending a private university and thought he could benefit more from it.

As the rules stand today under GI Bill 1.0, you are correct in that Public Health and NOAA personnel cannot transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits to their dependents, but that will soon change. Part of the GI Bill 2.0 legislation that President Obama just signed into law will allow transfer of benefits for employees of the two above mentioned agencies starting on or after August 2011. What I don’t know at this point is if it will be retroactive or not, and if so, how far back will it go.

So it might be worthwhile to save your Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlements, at least until we hear if you will be able to transfer your unused months to him or not.

Another part of that legislation that could affect your son, if he ends up having Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits and being he is going to a private school, is the VA will only pay up to $17,500 per year for tuition at private universities. If your son’s tuition exceeds that amount, the difference will have to come from other financial sources, unless ol’ dad decides to foot the bill.

According to one of my sources, work is already starting on GI Bill 3.0 to correct some of the things that unintentionally happened in 2.0, so we will see what that brings about.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”