This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

As an Army Veteran With a General Discharge, How Can I Help My Wife Finish School?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I have never used any of my benefits and would like to help my wife finish school. I am an Army veteran with a general discharge. I served from 1993 to 1996.

A: That is a very honorable thing you want to do, however, you have several things working against you as far as being able to transfer your GI Bill benefits to your wife. First, the GI Bill you had back in the mid 1990s was the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). Unfortunately that GI Bill does not have any benefit transfer aspects to it.

Second, the MGIB has a 10-year shelf life from the date of your discharge; after that date it expires. You have long since passed your 10-year date from 1996.

Third, with a General discharge, you would not have been able to use your GI Bill benefits yourself, let alone transfer them to your wife.

And while you might have been able to get your characterization of discharge changed to Honorable before your MGIB expired, it still would not have done you any good due to the fact that the MGIB cannot be transferred.

Being your GI Bill benefits would not help your wife finish school, her best bet now for education financial aid would be to apply for grants and scholarships.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.