This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As an AGR Soldier, How Do I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Son?

Q: I am an AGR Soldier, how do I transfer my GI Bill to my son who is starting school in the fall? Do I need to do anything to change to the Post 911 GI Bill? I served in Iraq in 2003-2004, do I need to buy into the program or am I entitled? Any information you can send me will be greatly appreciated.

A: As of October 1st, AGR soldiers are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. As far as how many creditable years you have, your AGR time back to September 10, 2001 counts. Before October 1st, the fact that you served in Iraq for a year would have made a difference in your eligibility for the Post 9/1 GI Bill, but after GI Bill 2.0 implementation, it neither helps or hinders your GI Bill eligibility because you are already maxed out on years.

Unlike the Montgomery GI Bill, the Post 9/11 GI Bill is free. And if you had paid into the Montgomery GI Bill, you would be able to switch over to the New GI Bill. Once you had exhausted your switched benefits, you would get your $1,200 contribution back.

Now, let’s talk about the benefits transfer process. First, you need to have served for at least six years either on Title 10 or Title 32 AGR which it sounds like you most likely have done. Next, you need to have a 4-year enlistment extension in place at the time you make a transfer request.

Once that is in place, then go to the TEB website and enter into your son’s record how many months of benefits you wish to transfer to him. Once the status changes from “Pending Review” to “Approved”, then he must go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, he will get his Certificate of Eligibility that he will needed when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”