This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As a Title 32 AGR Soldier, Can I Transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to My Sons Ages 5 and 12?

Q: I was USAF active duty for 2.5 years and paid into the MGIB ($1,200.00) then I joined the Air Guard as an Active Guard/Reserve for 14 years now under Title 32 (502F). Can I sign up for the Post 9/11 Bill? I would like to give my benefits to my children but they are ages 5 and 12. Would that be a problem? Thank you.

A: You really don’t have to sign up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill as you already have it just from your 14 years of Title 32 502(f) service. However, if you want to transfer benefits to your sons, you’ll have to give up your Montgomery GI Bill as part of the conversion process.

To begin the transfer process, just go to the milConnect website and follow the Transfer of Benefits instructions. Know that you’ll have to commit to an additional four years of Title 32 502(f) service as part of that process. You’ll know when your transfer is approved by a change in the Status Block from “Transfer Pending” to “Transfer Approved”.

Once each son becomes old enough to use their transferred benefits, they can go to the website listed at the time and request their Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Right now that is at the eBenefits website and the form is VA Form 22-1990e. It may be different by the time thy get ready to do it, however the process should be much the same.

When each son has his COE, each will need to hand in a copy when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student. Transferring benefits now is a wise move as you can’t do it once retired or if you can’t serve for four more years. And your sons have from age 18 (or when graduated from high school if younger) until age 26 to use their transferred benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”