This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As a Retriree, Will I Be Able to Transfer GI Bill Benefits to Dependents?

Q: Is there any action being worked to allow retirees the option of transferring GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents? This does not seem very equitable since I paid in to the MGIB and can transition to the Post 9/11 Bill.

A: Yes there is. A new bill (H.R. 1330) was just introduced in the Legislature by Rep. Alexander (R-LA) that would allow 20-year+ retirees retiring before August 1, 2009 the option to transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill months of entitlement to a spouse or dependents.

For those not knowing the current rules, career veterans who qualify for the Post 9/11GI Bill, but who retired prior to August 1, 2009, are not eligible to make a transfer of benefits. The way Congress wrote the rules a servicemember had to be serving “on or after August 1, 2009″ to make a transfer request.

Because they retired before the Post 9/11 GI Bill was started on August 2009, although they qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill by serving after September 10, 2001, never seemed quite fair, but prior legislation has not only failed, it never even came to a vote. So it will be interesting to see how the popularity of this bill differs from the previous one.

If you are a veteran who retired prior to August 1, 2009, but want to make a transfer of benefits, contact your legislators and let them know you would like them to support (H.R. 1330). Legislators understand numbers. If a few of us contact them, it might not get their attention, but if all of us make contact, they listen. Do your part for career veterans having the Post 9/11 GI Bill and retiring before August 1, 2009. If we can provide solidarity, we can get this done and correct a wrong.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”