This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As a Reservist, What G.I. Bill Do I Get?

Q: I am a drilling reservist. I have been deployed to Iraq in 2003. Am I eligible for any of these GI bills? If so, which ones and for how much?

A: As a Reservist, to qualify for the for the Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR), you have to:

  • sign up for a six-year enlistment;
  • been awarded your high school diploma before completing IADT;
  • complete IADT;
  • remain in good standing as a drilling member of your unit (no more than four unexcused absences).

Assuming you have done all these things, then you would qualify for 36 months of education benefits. Keep in mind, generally speaking, your MGIB-SR is only good while you remain a member of the Reserves and expires 14 years from your date of eligibility or when you leave the Reserves.

In your case, your 14-year delimiting date is altered due to your mobilization. If your mobilization was for 12 months, then the length of your mobilization plus four months is added to your delimiting date. So while normally your MGIB-SR would end when you got out of the Reserves, you should have 16 months of benefit left if you leave the Reserves sooner than 14 years.

Right now the Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserves currently pays students $333 per month to go to school.

You should also qualify for 36 months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 60% level, meaning the VA would pay 60% of your tuition and fees directly to your school, up to the maximum, and you would get 60% of the housing allowance and book stipend. Just be aware the Post 9/11 GI Bill doesn’t cover non-degree courses such as trade, technical, licenses and certifications.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”