This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

As a Reservist, Can I Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill to My Son?

Q: Hello, I am currently on active duty serving in Afghanistan. I have the option of joining the reserves next year. As a reservist can I transfer my remaining Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my son? Thank you.

A: Yes, you can, if you are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer option by having served at least six years in the Reserve and if you sign up for at least four more years. Just know that you have to make a transfer request to your son while you are still in the Reserves; once you are out, it is too late to make a transfer.

Also the percentage tier that you are at at the time of transfer will also transfer to him. For example, with a one-year deployment you will get up to the 60% tier. So when he starts using his transferred benefits, 60% of his tuition and fees will be paid for by the VA directly to his school. He will get 60% of the monthly housing allowance as well as 60% of the yearly book stipend.

Because you are not at the 100% level, he would not be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.While your transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits will not pay for all of his school costs, it will certainly help.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”