This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

As a Reservist, Can I Transfer My GI Bill Benefits?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I currently have 22 years reserve service in addition to being mobilized for OEF in 2003. I am considering retirement and want to know if I can save or transfer my GI Bill benefits?

A: Yes you can do both, if you are talking about the Post 9/11 GI Bill. But if you decide to make a transfer request, you have to do it while you are still in; once retired and you can’t make a Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer request. The Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR) does not have a dependent transfer option.

If you only have the one deployment (I assume it was for one year), then you will be at the 60% tier, meaning that whomever uses your Post 9/11 GI Bill transferred benefits, will only get 60% of the full benefit.

However, getting 60% of tuition and fees paid directly to the school and getting 60% of the housing allowance and book stipend is still better than nothing.

To initiate a transfer, go to the TEB website and make a request. Once approved, the individual receiving your transferred benefits can submit VA form 22-1990e through the VONAPP website. That individual will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that he/she will need when enrolling in school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *