This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Am I Still Eligible for the GI Bill?

Q: To whom it may concern. I’ve been out of the Marine Corps on an honorable discharge since August of 2005. I never used my GI Bill while on reserve duty during those 7 years. I served 2 tours in Iraq, between 2003 and 2005. I want a career change, and I’m interested in taking a commercial driver’s license course. Am I still eligible for the GI Bill? And is a CDL course applicable under the GI Bill? How do I get starting in getting this benefit? Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

A: Your Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) expired when you got out of the Marine Corps Reserve. However, with your 2 tours in Iraq, you qualify for partial payment under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The way the New GI Bill works is you get to a percentage tier depending on how much active duty time you had after September 10, 2001 on Title 10 orders for a contingency operation such as Iraq. If your 2 tours were each one-year in duration, then you would have 36 months of entitlement at the 80% tier for your 24 months of qualifying service.

As far as taking a CDL course, you would have to find a course that is taught at an institution of higher learning (IHL) or in other words, a school that also teaches degree-producing programs. Then your CDL training should be covered. Also the Post 9/11 GI Bill can reimburse you one-time up to $2,000 for your CDL test/endorsements.

To apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, go to the VONAPP website and submit VA Form 22-1990. In return, you will get back a Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when you enroll in school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”