This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Am I Entitled to the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Transfer Option to Transfer Benefits to My Child?

Q: I enlisted in 1988 and ETS’d in 1991. I then used my G.I. Bill / Army College Fund to pay for a Bachelor’s degree. I re-entered service in 1998 as a commissioned officer, and am still serving. Am I entitled to the Post 9/11 GI Bill to transfer to my child?

A: You are, but it won’t be 36 months worth like you had under the Montgomery GI Bill. Under the Rule of 48, if you are eligible for two or more GI Bills, the most combined months of benefits that you can get is 48. So if you used 36 months before, then the most you could get under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and transfer to your daughter would be 12 months.

However, 12 months is better than nothing. To start the transfer process, be sure you have at least four years left on your enlistment. If you have less than four years until you are retirement eligible at 20 years of service, then you could have a lesser amount of additional required time left on your enlistment and still get your transfer request approved.

Once the request is approved, then your child has to request his/her Certificate of Eligibility from the eBenefits website by submitting VA Form 22-1990e. S/he will need to be at least graduated from high school or age 18 before requesting his/her certificate. A copy of it will have to be handed in when registering for school as a GI Bill student using transferred benefits.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”