This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military. All proceeds from the operation of this site are donated to veteran and other charities.

Am I Eligible for 12 Months of the Montgomery GI Bill and 36 Months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I have a question regarding MGIB and Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. I initially paid the $100 a month for my first year in the Army. I enlisted in Feb 2005. I am also eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I have been using TA through GoArmyEd and will soon obtain my Associate’s. I would like to use my MGIB to help with my Bachelor’s degree which will be mostly online. Once I use up my MGIB benefits I would like to transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to my dependents. If this is possible would I be eligible for the 48 months of benefits, 12 for the MGIB and then the 36 Post 9/11 GI Bill? — Armondo

A: Hi Armondo. Under the Rule of 48, you can get a combined maximum of 48 months of GI Bill entitlement if you are eligible for two or more GI Bills (which you are); thirty-six months under the Montgomery GI Bill and 12 months under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I think you are making a good decision by using your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) to get your degree online and passing your Post 9/11 GI Bill to your dependents.

As you know, using Tuition Assistance (TA) is a great way to maximize your MGIB benefits as the Army is paying up to $250 per credit (up to the $4,500 per year maximum). You did not say if you were going to continue to use TA to get your Bachelor’s degree or not, but I would advise you to keep using it if you can. It is free money you are losing, if you do not use it to the maximum.

Keep in mind that to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your dependents, you have to meet all three service requirements:
• having served for at least 6 years
• currently serving
• making sure you have at least four years left on your enlistment at the time of your transfer request.

Having enlisted in 2005, you have more than met the 6-year requirement and you are still serving, so you only have to make sure the last requirement is in place before making your transfer request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Important Information: We strive to provide information on this website that is accurate, complete and timely, but we make no guarantees about the information, the selection of schools, school accreditation status, the availability of or eligibility for financial aid, employment opportunities or education or salary outcomes. Visit here for important information on these topics.