This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

While Deployed, What Steps Are Necessary to Transfer My Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Her?

Q: I’m currently on deployment in Afghanistan. My wife is trying to go to BCC (Broward Community College) under my GI Bill benefits. What are the necessary steps that I need to take to transfer my benefits to her? She has already filed the form 221098E

A: I have no idea how the 1098-E is connected with this question, unless there is another 1098-E. The one I’m familiar with is a form sent out by student loan providers that is used to show how much was paid on student loans during that tax year. Unless you mean the VA Form 22-1990e. That would be the form she would have sent in to get her Post 9/11 GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). However, it will come back disapproved, because she did not first already have benefits that had been transferred to her yet (and approved) before she submitted her form. The VA can’t approve something she doesn’t yet have.

The way the process works is first you have to meet the transfer of benefits eligibility requirements which are:
• Currently serving at the time of the transfer request
• Have served for at least six years
• Have at least four years remaining on your enlistment

If you meet those requirements, then go to the milConnect website and enter into your wife’s record the number of months of benefits you wish to transfer to her. After 8 to 10 weeks, check back at the website to see if your request status has changed from “Pending Review” to “Request Approved”.

Once approved, then have your wife go to the eBenefits website and submit VA Form 22-1990e. In return, she will then get her CoE which she will need when she registers for school.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”