On post, where is building number 1 located?
At the base of the flag pole
Other than Garrison, Post, Field, Storm and Internment flags, name the other types of military flags.
- Colors - These are flags of organizations and certain civilian and military officials.
- Standards - Flags of mounted units were formerly called standards.
- Distinguished flags - These flags identify headquarters, offices, general officers, and organizations, none of which is authorized organizational or individual Colors.
- Ensigns - An ensign is a rectangular flag flown from aircraft, ships, and boats.
- Guidons -A guid on is a swallow-tailed flag carried by companies, batteries, troops, and certain detachments.
- Pennants - A pennant is a triangular flag used for various utility purposes.
How is the flag flown on Memorial Day?
At half-mast till noon, then from noon until retreat sounds, it is at full staff
When the flag is flown at night, what must be done?
It must be illuminated
What date was the Army flag dedicated?
14 June 1956 (it was approved 12 June 1956)
When a President or Past President dies, how long is the flag flown at half-mast?
How is the flag draped over the casket?
So the stars are over the left shoulder
How many stripes does the American flag have?
13 stripes (7 red and 6 white)
What is the difference between the National Colors and the National Flag?
The National Colors is trimmed on 3 sides with golden yellow fringe
What do the colors on the flag represent?
- Red-Hardiness and Valor
- White-Purity and Innocence
- Blue- Vigilance, Preservation and Justice
When Military personnel die, the flag is presented to the beneficiary, who provides the flag?
The postmaster general
When the national flag is worn out, how is it disposed of?
The section of the flag with the stars is cut from the flag and then both pieces are burned together
What are the 2 ways that the flag can be displayed?
- Hanging free
Who is traditionally responsible for the safeguarding, care and display of the unit's colors?
The Command Sergeant Major
How is the American flag raised to the half-staff position?
It is first raised all the way to the top of the staff for an instant, then lowered to half staff
If a flag is in the half-staff position, how is it lowered?
It is first raised to the top of the staff for a brief moment, and then it is lowered.
When folded, what is the shape of the American flag?
The shape like that of a cocked hat
What does the Hoist and Fly of a flag mean?
The Hoist is the width of a flag (vertical edge measured from top to bottom); the Fly is the length of the flag (horizontal edge, measured from left to right)
What Army Regulation governs the raising and the lowering of the Flag?
AR 600-25 and AR 840-10
What are the two bugle calls played at Retreat?
"Retreat" and "To The Color"
What are some places that the flag is flown 24 hours a day by specific legal authority as of January 1966?
- US Capitol in Washington, DC
- Fort McHenry National Monument, Flag House Square in Baltimore, MD
- Francis Scott Keys Grave
- The World War Memorial in Worcester, Massachusetts
Are the colors ever dipped as a salute or compliment?
Never on land, only at sea when 2 friendly ships of war meet
Name the 3 types of flags normally flown and their sizes
- Storm- 5ft x 9 and 1/2 ft
- Post- 8ft 11 3/8 inches x 17 ft
- Garrison- 20 ft x 38 ft
What are the 5 basic US flags used by the Army?
When a new state enters the Union, when is the star added to the flag?
The following 4th of July
Approximately how long is "to the color"?
40 seconds in duration
How many National colors can be present during a review, parade, or honor guard ceremony?
What is the height of a flagpole?
50, 60, or 75 ft
What are the dimensions of the campaign streamers displayed on the Army Flag?
2 and 3/4 inches wide and 4 feet long
What can be found on all but the last three campaign streeamers displayed on the Army flag?
The date of action. (Dates have traditionally been embroidered on Army flag campaign streamers, but since these new streamers will be displayed before the end of hostilities they will not include dates)
With the addition of the three most recent campaign streamers, what is the total number of campaign streamers displayed on the Army Flag?
What will be embroidered on the three most recent campaign streamers?
- “Afghanistan” - For service in Afghanistan, under the criteria established for the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, units will receive and display a streamer embroidered “AFGHANISTAN.” Each unit that has served in Afghanistan will be recognized with only one campaign streamer, regardless of the number of deployments or operational rotations it has made.
- “Iraq” - For service in Iraq, under the criteria established for the Iraq Campaign Medal, units will display a streamer embroidered “IRAQ.” Each unit that has served in Iraq will be recognized with only one campaign streamer regardless of the number of deployments or operational rotations to the country of Iraq.
- “Global War on Terrorism” - In recognition of service in the other geographic regions outside Iraq and Afghanistan, such as Kuwait, Qatar and the Horn of Africa, units will receive a streamer in the colors of the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal. Regardless of the geographic region, or the number of deployments, units participating in this campaign will receive a single streamer embroidered “Global War on Terrorism.”