This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

About Casualty Assistance Program

The casualty assistance program provides assistance to the primary next-of-kin (PNOK) of deceased soldiers and retirees.

The casualty assistance program provides assistance to the primary next-of-kin (PNOK) of deceased soldiers and retirees. The Army may provide casualty assistance to the PNOK of all deceased soldiers in the following categories-

  • Active Duty military.
  • USAR/ARNG enroute to/from/participating in Active Duty Training.
  • Soldiers in AWOL status.
  • Army retirees.
  • Soldiers separated from the Army less than 120 days.

The main objectives of casualty assistance are the following:

  • Assist the PNOK during the period immediately following a casualty.
  • Eliminate delay in settling claims and paying survivor benefits.
  • Assist the PNOK in other personnel-related affairs.

The Army has established Casualty Assistance Commands (CAC) at most major installations where the PNOK of deceased soldiers can get help. Department of the Army policy concerning casualty assistance is that the CAC will appoint a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) when a soldier is reported as deceased or missing. PNOK of retirees must request a CAO. While casualty assistance is provided to the PNOK, advice and guidance may be provided to other next of kin (NOK) if warranted by the situation, but a CAO need not be appointed.

The CAO and CAC helps families cope with the loss of their soldier. Primarily the CAO (or CAC if a CAO has not been appointed) helps the PNOK in understanding the entitlements for a military funeral, applying for the various benefits due to the beneficiaries of the deceased and providing other assistance in regards to military benefits.

Notification of the PNOK and secondary next of kin (SNOK) occurs as promptly as possible and in a timely, professional, dignified and understanding manner. In death and missing cases, a uniformed service representative personally conducts the notification and confirms it by written communication. Soldiers who perform the notification will always be in Class A uniform. Only officers, warrant officers and senior noncommissioned officers in grade sergeant first class through command sergeant major will perform the notification. In other than death and missing cases or in the case of retirees or separated soldiers, notification is normally by telephone.

More information is available in AR 600-8-1, Army Casualty Operations/Assistance/Insurance, DA Pam 608-4, A Guide for Survivors of Deceased Army Members, DA Pam 600-5, Handbook for Retiring Soldiers and Their Families, or contact your local casualty area command for assistance. You may also visit the PERSCOM web site at for detailed information on the casualty assistance program.

Privacy Policy | About Us | FAQ | Terms of Service | Disclaimers | Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA and NV residents)

Copyright © 2023 EducationDynamics. All Rights Reserved.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans’ benefits at

The sponsored schools featured on this site do not include all schools that accept GI Bill® funding or VA Benefits. To contact ArmyStudyGuide, email us.

Disclosure: EducationDynamics receives compensation for the featured schools on our websites (see “Sponsored Schools” or “Sponsored Listings” or “Sponsored Results”). So what does this mean for you? Compensation may impact where the Sponsored Schools appear on our websites, including whether they appear as a match through our education matching services tool, the order in which they appear in a listing, and/or their ranking. Our websites do not provide, nor are they intended to provide, a comprehensive list of all schools (a) in the United States (b) located in a specific geographic area or (c) that offer a particular program of study. By providing information or agreeing to be contacted by a Sponsored School, you are in no way obligated to apply to or enroll with the school.

This is an offer for educational opportunities that may lead to employment and not an offer for nor a guarantee of employment. Students should consult with a representative from the school they select to learn more about career opportunities in that field. Program outcomes vary according to each institution’s specific program curriculum. Financial aid may be available to those who qualify. The financial aid information on this site is for informational and research purposes only and is not an assurance of financial aid.

VFW $30,000 Scholarship!
Write an essay on the annual patriotic theme. This year’s theme is, “Why Is The Veteran Important?”