PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer (14E)
- Active Duty
A Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operator is an important part of the Army’s air defense artillery team. The Patriot missile system teams are used to launch advanced-technology ammunition capable of neutralizing multiple air targets. The Patriot missile system consists of a control station, power plant, communication relay group and up to eight launching stations.
Here are some of the duties of a Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operator:
- Responsible for placement of the Patriot system in the field
- Performs real-time status reporting during combat
- Operates specific Patriot coordinate and target identification systems
- Performs maintenance on coordinate, communication and target identification systems
- Evaluates target data and identifies and engages targets
- Performs operation and intelligence duties
- Establishes radio and wire communications in the field
Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operators constantly lift heavy objects and perform strenuous activity for long periods without rest. Being in top physical and mental shape is definitely a plus in this job. Normal color vision is also required in order to read color-coded ammunition, maps, and charts.
Job training for a Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operator requires nine weeks of Basic Training, where you learn basic Soldiering skills, followed by 19 weeks, four days of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions. Some of the skills you will learn are:
- Operating technologies specific to the Patriot system
- Methods of calculating targets electronically and manually
- Operating gun, missile and rocket systems specific to the Patriot
- Artillery tactics and battle strategy
Helpful attributes include:
- Interest in rocket and cannon operations
- Ability to take on challenges and remain calm under stress
- Interest in plotting and reading maps
- Top physical and mental shape
- Ability to work as a team member
Advanced level Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operators provide guidance on technical issues to other Soldiers. They also supervise placement of the engagement control station of the Patriot system and associated equipment.
As your Patriot Fire Control Enhanced Operator career continues, you will have the opportunity to take more advanced courses and have more in-field training.