Branch Insignia: The front view of an M-26 tank, gun slightly raised, superimposed on two crossed cavalry sabers in scabbards, cutting edge up, 13/16 inch in height overall, of gold color metal.
The Armor insignia, approved in 1950, consists of the traditional crossed sabers (originally adopted for the cavalry in 1851) on which the M-26 tank is superimposed. The design symbolizes the traditional and current roles of armor.
Branch Plaque: The plaque design has the branch insignia, letters and border in gold. The background is green.
Regimental Insignia: Personnel assigned to the Armor branch affiliate with a specific regiment and wear the insignia of the affiliated regiment.
Regimental Coat of Arms: There is no standard armor regimental flag to represent all of the armor regiments. Each regiment of armor has its own coat of arms which appears on the breast of a displayed eagle. The background of all the armor regimental flags is yellow.
Branch Colors: Yellow. 65002 cloth; 67108 yarn; 123 PMS.
In March 1855, two regiments of cavalry were created and their trimmings were to be of “yellow.” In 1861, the designation of dragoon and mounted rifleman disappeared, all becoming Cavalry with “yellow” as their colors. Armor was assigned the colors green and white by Circular 49 on 21 February 1947. When the Cavalry branch was abolished, the present Armor was assigned the former Cavalry color yellow by SR 600-60-1 dated 26 October 1951.
Birthday: 12 December 1775. The Armor branch traces its origin to the Cavalry. A regiment of cavalry was authorized to be raised by the Continental Congress Resolve of 12 December 1775. Although mounted units were raised at various times after the Revolution, the first unit in continuous service was the United States Regiment of Dragoons, organized in 1833. The Tank Service was formed 5 March 1918. The Armored Force was formed on 10 July 1940. Armor became a permanent branch of the Army in 1950.