Adjutant General's Corps
Adjutant General’s Corps Branch Insignia Information
Branch Insignia: A silver metal and enamel shield one inch in height on which are 13 vertical stripes, seven silver and six red; on a blue chief one large and 12 small silver stars.
The basic design — the shield from the Coat of Arms of the United States — was adopted in 1872 as a solid shield of silver, bearing 13 stars. In 1924, this design was authorized to be made in gold metal with the colors red, white and blue in enamel. In December 1964, the insignia was changed to silver base metal with silver stars and silver and red enamel stripes.
Branch Plaque: The plaque design has the branch insignia in proper colors on a white background and the branch designation in silver letters. The rim is gold.
Regimental Insignia: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches in height consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure (dark blue) within a border Gules, an inescutcheon paly of thirteen Argent and Gules, on a chief Azure a mullet Argent between a pattern of twelve of the like (as on The Adjutant General’s insignia of branch), and enclosed in base by two laurel branches Or. Attached above the shield a silver scroll inscribed with the numerals “1775” in red and attached below the shield a silver triparted scroll inscribed “DEFEND AND SERVE” in dark blue. The Regimental Insignia was approved on 23 December 1986.
Regimental Coat of Arms: The coat of arms appears on the breast of a displayed eagle on the regimental flag. The coat of arms is: Azure (dark blue) within a bordure per bordure Argent and Gules, an inescutcheon paly of thirteen Argent and Gules; on a chief Azure a mullet Argent between a pattern of twelve of the like (as on The Adjutant General’s Corps insignia of branch), all within a bordure Argent and enclosed in base by two laurel leaves Or. Displayed above the eagle’s head is the crest (On a wreath of the colors Argent and Azure the numerals “1775” Gules).
Symbolism of Regimental Insignia: Dark blue and scarlet are branch colors of The Adjutant General’s Corps. The inner white border signifies unity and the good conscience of those who have done their duty. The inner red, white and blue shield is the insignia of The Adjutant General’s Corps and the gold laurel wreath around its base stands for excellence in accomplishing the mission. The “1775” in the crest is the year The Adjutant General’s Corps was created. The color red symbolizes valor and the blood shed in our war for independence.
Branch Colors: Dark blue piped with Scarlet. Dark Blue – 65012 cloth; 67126 yarn; PMS 539. Scarlet – 65006 cloth; 67111 yarn; PMS 200.
The pompons on the Adjutant Generals’ caps were topped with white in 1851. The facings were listed in the specification for the Adjutant General’s uniform in September 1915 as dark blue. In Circular number 70 dated 28 October 1936, the Adjutant General’s Corps and the National Guard Bureau exchanged colors and the present colors were established for the Adjutant General’s Corps. The blue used in the branch insignia is ultramarine blue rather than the branch color.
Birthday: 16 June 1775. The post of Adjutant General was established 16 June 1775, and has been continuously in operation since that time. The Adjutant General’s Department, by that name, was established by the act of 3 March 1813 and was redesignated The Adjutant General’s Corps in 1950.