This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Career Counselors (79S) Can Continue in Civilian Workforce

Created by: Natalie Peeterse
Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2007
As a 79S, Career Counselor, you already know how to work with people and help them decide what career best suits them. You can continue to use these skills and work with civilians, guiding people from all walks of life through their educational, vocational, and career options.
Career Counselors (79S) As Civilian Career Counselors
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), career counselors assist people with decisions about their future careers and current educational needs. They often work in school settings where they advise students in need of career counseling. As you've already experienced, it is important to help people set realistic goals based on their abilities, talents, and interests. Your experience, combined with an education can make you an excellent applicant for these positions.

Earn Your Counseling Degree
A master's degree is typically required to work as a licensed counselor , according to the BLS, although a bachelor's degree qualifies individuals to work as a counseling aid. Many states, however, accept a bachelor's degree with certain coursework in counseling to earn certification. Whatever your goals, earning your counseling degree pays off. This field is expected to grow faster than average through 2014, so getting your counseling degree can make you a stronger applicant for these positions.

The Army's Student Aid
If you don't already have a degree to work in this field, you can start taking the courses you need online now, wherever you're stationed. Remember that advancing your education can also boost your military career via Army promotion points. Take advantage of the Army's Tuition Assistance Program to pay for your education (even online classes). If you have separated from the Army, you can use your Montgomery GI Bill.

Available Subcategories :