This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Would Becoming a Reservist Reset My Montgometry GI Bill Delimitation Date?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: I left the Marine Corps in Dec of 2003 and my Montgomery GI Bill will soon reach the 10 year mark. I am thinking of joining the Reserves and would like to know if my Montgomery GI Bill will stop running when I become a Reservist?

A: If you enlist into the Selected Reserve (either the National Guard or any of the service branch Reserves), your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) delimitation date would not reset, unless you were activated or mobilized for a period of 90 days or more while in the Selected Reserves; if so, then it would expire 10 years from your new and latest discharge date.

However getting out in 2003, you also have 36 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility at the 80% tier level. This means that if you switched from the MGIB to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you could go to school for up to 36 months and the VA would pay up to 80% of your tuition and you would get 80% of both the monthly housing allowance and book stipend.

Under the MGIB, you would get $1,648 per month and out of that amount you have to pay your own tuition, fees, books, etc. But under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, 80% of your tuition would be paid directly to your school. The amount you would get in housing allowance is 80% of the authorized amount based on the zip code of your school and the number of credits you are taking. You would also get 80% of the $41.67 per credit for books, up to a maximum of $800 per year.

You would have to do the math, but you may come out better switching your MGIB over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, plus it would give you an additional 5 years to use your New GI Bill as that one has a 15-year delimitation date instead of 10 years as with the MGIB.

Comments  (2)

So if I’m using my Montgomery GI Bill already but I haven’t use 36 months of it yet, can I transfer to Post 9-11 once I get out from Active Duty?

posted by Christie
10:01 pm on October 17, 2013

You can transfer to the Post 9/11 GI Bil at anytime. Just know that if you transfer with Montgomery GI Bill benefits left, all you will get under the Post 9/11 GI Bill is that same number of months/days of entitlement. Use up all of your MGIB entitlement first and then switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you can get an additional 12 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

posted by Ron Kness
9:31 pm on October 29, 2013
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)