This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

May I Use the MGIB to Go to School in Israel?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

May I use the MGIB to go to school in Israel, or can it only be used in the USA? Thank you.

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) can be used to attend foreign schools provided the classes you take lead to a college degree of some type. What the VA is trying to avoid is you attending school overseas just go to school in a foreign country and then end up wasting your GI Bill benefits on a bunch of classes irrelevant to your degree plan.  The whole purpose of the GI Bill is to train you in some type of vocational or career field that you can use to make a living.

If you are using the MGIB, then you get paid the same each month regardless if you are attending a school here or abroad. You would get up to $1,421 per month if you were attending full-time and you would have to pay all your own tuition, fees and other education-related expenses.

If you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill or are eligible to convert to it, then you would get $1,311 per month in a housing allowance and up to $1,000 per year in a book stipend. The VA would pay your foreign school up to $439.69 per credit for tuition and up to $13,713.88 per term in fees.

Just so you know, the VA has two lists of VA-approved schools in Israel. One for Tel Aviv and another one for Jerusalem.

Comments  (2)

Look on the VA Approved list now, Israel is not an approved country to go to school in for VA benefits

posted by VA Employee
2:32 pm on August 11, 2011

Yes, I see that it is no longer listed along with a lot of other foreign schools. What happened?

posted by Ron Kness
11:18 am on August 14, 2011
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)