This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

Is It Possible to Transfer Benefits to My Wife?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hello, I joined the Army in July 1999 and got out in 2006 with an honorable discharge. I want to know if it possible to transfer part of my GI Bill to my wife?

A: No, for two reasons. One is you are now retired. According to the way Congress wrote the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the servicemember had to be “on active duty on or after August 1, 2009” to make a transfer request. So that excluded all those retirees, who qualify for the transfer option, but retired on or before July 31, 2009.

Two, is to access the transfer request option, you had to be on active duty for six years and extend for an additional four years. You probably had the six years in, but being you did not extend and are no longer on active duty, you are not authorized the transfer option.

However, you can still use your benefits yourself as you have up to 15 years from your date of discharge to use Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)