This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Take Classes at Two Schools, Will the VA Pay for Them at Both Locations?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: Hello. I am a veteran who will be utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the first time this fall. I am attending Post University and the program is online. There are 2 courses that I will be taking locally at a community college because PU allows dual enrollment. Will the GI Bill pay for dual college enrollment or will I have to make other arrangements?

A:  No, you do not have to make other arrangements; the Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay for courses at both schools. Here’s how you do it. First designate the school that will be awarding your degree as the “parent” school. The other school where you will be also taking classes will be designated as your “secondary” school.

Your parent school will issue a letter to your secondary school on your behalf, informing the school which classes you will be taking from them. Once you have finished those classes, your secondary school will issue you a transcript. Give the transcript to your parent school so they can post the credits to your degree plan.

The biggest thing to get dual enrollment to work is to be sure the classes you take at your secondary school will be credited to your degree plan at your parent school. If not, the GI Bill will not pay for them and they would not apply to your degree.

As far as funding, the VA will pay your parent school for all your classes and your parent school will then pay your secondary school for the classes you take there. That is why it is important for you to work with your parent school, so you don’t end up having to pay for your secondary school classes.

Comments  (1)

Very good question, and answer given. Thanks

posted by Terria
3:28 am on August 14, 2011
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)