This website is not affiliated with the U.S. government or military.

If I Have SLRP, Can I Still Get the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Author Ron Kness is no longer in the service.

Q: If I gave up my Montgomery GI Bill for Student Loan Repayment Program instead, am I still eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

A: You may be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, however, it really depends on how long of a time-span we are talking about. When you signed up for SLRP, you incurred a three-year service obligation to pay it back. During those three years, you did not gain eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill as you can’t have the Student Loan Repayment Program and the GI Bill for the same period of time. However on a six-year enlistment, you could get both as you would get 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill for the second three years. The only thing you would not get would be the transfer-to-benefits option. That would require you to reenlist for an additional four years once you are at the six-year mark.

Comments  (2)

When I enlisted I took the SLRP instead of the GI Bill. I have been in for just over 4 years now and re enlisted last year for 6 years. Can I get the GI Bill and if so how do I go about getting it?

posted by Angela
12:52 pm on July 27, 2011

You really don’t have to do anything until you want to start using it. Then you have to submit VA Form 22-1990 from the eBenefits website. In return you will get your Certificate of Eligibility that you will need when enrolling in school as a GI Bill student.

With four years in, you already have 1 year’s worth of Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility. With another two years of service, you will be at the 100% tier. Your first three years of service went to “pay back” for paying off your student loans.

posted by Ron Kness
8:13 am on August 1, 2011
Post a New Comment

Displayed next to your comment (required)

Will not be published (required)